Friday, October 15, 2010

Pause: Portland, OR

As I am in Portland for the weekend, I decided to try a new place to eat. Since I was with family for the evening, I dragged them along. It was a small place with about 13 tables in all with a tiny bar area attached. Very open, so the volume is on the high side. The head waiter was very polite and greeted us as soon as we walked in. He quickly took down our names and gave us an idea of how long it would be. He was only off by abut 20 mins. We were doubting the worthiness of waiting 50 mins for food. We decided to stick it out since we were already there. Politeness is high here. All the waitstaff were running around making sure things were taken care of. They were not there all the time, but they were never standing still.

We were not disappointed. Not a single food item wasn't liked. In fact, we devoured every item set before us. The fries are perfectly cooked and sold as hand cut. I believe it. They are crispy enough that even the thin pieces are argued over. I wish they made chips too. The burgers have all the typical toppings (like lettuce and tomatoes) are on the side. Being a person who likes to rearrange my burger toppings, I love it when a place does that. The amazing item on the burger plate was the fresh made zucchini pickles. They taste similar to butter pickles. I ended up putting them on my salad, which was just lettuce and dressing. I find that a bit plain. A salad should have atleast 4 really good ingredients. Also, their bake mac and cheese was delicious! Creamy, cheesy, and with a bit of crunch from the panko bread crumbs on top.

The only regret I have for the entire meal was the fact I did not have room dessert. Next time, I am definitely going to do that as it seems they do not have a set dessert menu. I find that intriguing. I highly recommend this place. I can not wait to return and bite into another fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment